perl-dev mailing list archives

From Radoslaw Zielinski <ra...@karnet.pl>
Subject Re: [apr] dropping Apache2/ subdir for APR::*
Date Sun, 21 Nov 2004 12:22:55 GMT
Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> [19-11-2004 21:51]:
> Radoslaw Zielinski wrote:
>> Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> [14-11-2004 17:05]:
>>> Radoslaw Zielinski wrote:
>> [...]

>>> It's a way more complicated than it seems to be at first sight. Search
>>> the dev list's archives for EazyLife to see some of the problems.
>> Done...  OK, so AUTOLOAD is just a can of worms.
>> But, as the code we're trying to make work already knows which
>> modules does it need to work, we can try a different approach:
>> trap the "use Apache::OldName" calls with a subroutine ref in @INC.
>> Example implementation attached; would this work?
>> I actually don't really like it, as it's a hack, but... I can't see
>> how this could impact on anything.
>> Well, let's see what I've missed now ;-)
> IMHO, it's a waste of time to try to resolve the namespace issue before
> the API incompability is resolved (which I doubt is possible or shouldn't
> be even attempted)

Huh?  Resolving the namespace issue just removes the API incompatibility
problem, doesn't it?

[...]
>>> The problem is that mp1 and mp2 aren't fully compatible, and there is no
>>> way to make them so 100%, mainly. So you have a problem here. You can't
>>> run all mp1 and mp2 applications under the same interpreter. Again take a
>>> look at lib/Apache/compat.pm %overridable_mp2_api and read:
>>> http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/Apache/compat.html#Compatibility_Functions_Colliding_with_mod_perl_2_0_API
>> I've seen it before and still don't see a problem, when we have *different
>> namespaces*.  I assume, that the compatibility layer is similar (in
>> effect, not necessarily the implementation) to the attached one.

>> Can the problem you're seeing be resolved by (I don't know how to do it
>> mod_perl-wide; maybe a per-VirtualHost/Location directive, telling mp2
>> to return objects blessed into a specific namespace for a given handler?):

>>   package handler_for_mp1_partially_ported_to_mp2;
>>   sub handler {
>>   my $r = bless shift, 'Apache::RequestRec'; # was Apache2::RequestRec
>>   # same thing with $c or whatever
> Have you read the URL quoted above? The two APIs behave totally different

Yes, Stas, I have read it.  Several times, actually, to make sure
I haven't left out any unresolvable issues.  I really don't see any.
Could you name it?

> and it's not possible to figure out at run time, which API generation is
> desired.

...I just don't see an easy way to resolve this one right now, if the
httpd.conf directive option I mentioned earlier is not acceptable /
possible.  But I think I'll figure something out.

> The code you've attached doesn't address that issue and it should be the
> first issue to tackle. The rest is easier.

[...]

--
Radosław Zieliński <radek@karnet.pl>
[ GPG key: http://radek.karnet.pl/ ]