perl-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Orton <jor...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [NOTICE] Subversion conversion
Date Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:58:00 GMT
On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 12:33:18PM -0800, Geoffrey Young wrote:
> > When the spamassassin group made the switch, they added a file to the
> > CVS at the top level, telling everyone still checking it out that it was
> > obsolete and to use svn instead.  I hope that happens with mod_perl's
> > tree, too.  I think a file named THIS_CODE_IS_OBSOLETE.txt would be
> > pretty clear. :-)
>
> maybe, maybe not - someone would need to actually ls the directory to find
> the file :)
>
> a better solution would be to remove anonymous cvs access entirely (while
> keeping committer-level access, of course).  gozer and I should ask about
> this, but I suspect that since httpd is also doing this conversion that they
> have thought about the issue a bit.

Do check with the infrastructure guys about this... the way that
committer CVS access-over-ssh is denied now for apr/apr-util, you can't
even "cvs up" an existing checkout to see what files you have changed:

cvs server: failed to create lock directory for `/home/cvs/apr'
(/home/cvs/apr/#cvs.lock): Permission denied

so a good workaround for this is to switch the checkout to an anoncvs
checkout (I use "scvs" for this, recursive perl foo works too), and then
you *can* cvs up again to work out what needs to be rescued from that
working copy...

joe