perl-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe+gm...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: [Patch mp2] Solving module reloading problems (Apache::Reload) with ModPerl::Util::clear_namespace()
Date Wed, 25 Aug 2004 00:27:22 GMT
"Philippe M. Chiasson" <gozer@ectoplasm.org> writes:

[...]

> >   2) symbols are occasionally aliased into other namespaces (eg Exporter),
> > and those aliases won't get rebound once the new symbol definitions
> >      are loaded.
>
> Well, partially true. It just means the existing aliases will be
> pointing to the _old_ values for that module. Kinda similar to an
> external module taking a ref to a sub in the package.

I haven't looked closely at your patch, but situation I had in
mind here is this:

  module X exports X::foo, which is imported into module Y.
  If the reloader for X undef's &X::foo, and reloads X,
  Y::foo is no longer defined.  If the reloader doesn't
  undef &X:foo, then Y uses the old foo() sub instead
  of the new one.

It seems to me that you can wind up breaking Y::foo
either way you implement the reloader for X.

--
Joe Schaefer