perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [Patch] replace glue_pods with an ExtUtils::MakeMaker solution
Date Sun, 15 Aug 2004 10:08:40 GMT
Stas Bekman wrote:
> Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
>
>> As stas pointed out in todo/release, since glue_pods is kinda broken
>> right now,
>> why not simply use ExtUtils::MakeMaker to manify and install all pods
>> in docs/api ?
>

> There are several reasons:
>
> 1) perldoc won't find the docs. I think that's the case even if you
> install .pod files next to .pm files. But I didn't check recently.
>
> 2) manpages will get installed over the mp1 manpages and vice versa.
>
> in any case, if we drop glue_pod, the simplest approach is probably to
> just have docs/api/Makefile.PL and let it do the job of finding .pod
> files. There was a provision for that already (that's how I did it in
> first place), before replacing it with glue_pods.

Well, actually glue_pod has worked just fine, but only for files under
lib/ which are just a few and I've failed to notice that, checking other
files. I've now extended it to pick up the rest of the files, so we are
all good I think. I hope it works under windows, I was careful to use
File::Spec functions for paths manipulation. But I won't be surprised if
something still won't work on win32.

Though I'm not sure what's the best approach to docs installation. I guess
we can always drop the glueing later and use the original solution which
existed before glue_pod was added in first place, i.e. run
docs/api/Makefile.PL and let it figure out where to install .pod files and
what to manify (with all the remaining problems of collision with mp1
manpages).

Or may be by that time we will move to Module::Build and then we will have
to deal with different issues. But let's think of crossing the bridge when
we reach it.