perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: time for 1.99_15?
Date Sun, 15 Aug 2004 01:41:44 GMT
Markus Wichitill wrote:
> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> Markus Wichitill wrote:
>>
>>> I know that the tests are skipped if mod_include isn't enabled in the
>>> system httpd.conf, that's why I enabled it (as well as mod_auth* and
>>> mod_proxy*), but I can't say for sure if it's the tests or the mere
>>> presence of mod_include that's triggering the leaks. The code in
>>> ithreads.pm certainly doesn't look like it should be influenced by
>>> either (?).
>>>
>>> If I run ithreads.t on its own, it doesn't leak, the same is true for
>>> every combination of one of the six tests and ithreads.t (perl t\TEST
>>> t/modules/include.t t/perl/ithreads.t). Which isn't particularly
>>> helpful...
>>

>> Same here. I can't figure out the sequence that leads to this problem
>> as it always happens randomly. Though if you have a strong machine
>> t/SMOKE should help. That's of course if the test fails (which is the
>> case for me, but it is not consistent) It that the case for you?
>

> It seemed completely consistent to me. "nmake test" with mod_include
> always leaks, "nmake test" without mod_include and partial tests don't
> leak. Of course the long runtime of full tests has limited the number of
> tests I could run.

But does the test fail or not? If it doesn't then t/SMOKE won't help here.

> Any specific parameters I should pass to SMOKE? I've never used any
> smoke test so far. Mind you, I can only run that stuff during nights,
> and only while the stupid graphics card fan doesn't act up...

It's all documented here:
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Apache-Test/lib/Apache/TestSmoke.pm

Unless you already know a subgroup of failing test, then you just run it
as t/TEST. But you probably want to run it as:

t/SMOKE -order=rotate -times=1

since it's the normal (sorted) sequence that causes the problem. But
again, it'll only work if the test fails or dumps core.

It should be possible to modify the smoking to detect other problem (like
scanning error_log for certain errors), but at the moment it's not
supported (shouldn't be too hard to add).