perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [mp2] Report on mp2 accessors in apache_structures.map
Date Thu, 12 Aug 2004 07:04:40 GMT
Thanks for making the mp1 vs mp2 API get/set comparison and the patch,
Fred. Your original version is now mostly integrated in various commits.

I'm not quite agreeing with Philippe and Geoff. Blindly opening up
fields, which have no special ap_ accessors for them is probably a good
recipe into getting in troubles. I know Geoff's favorite phrase is "give
them the feature and they will find the use for it". In this particular
case, I'd suggest to be more cautious and leave things readonly until
someone will ask to open up the accessor(s) to be settable. It doesn't
take more than 1 second to open it up.

If you think some method should be settable, come up with an example
where it'll be useful, make it a test and see if it works, then open it
up. I know we have quite a few methods whose settable functionality is
not tested, but it really should. Patches (from everybody, not only 3 of
us) are more than welcome.