perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: removing some autoconfig magic from A-T
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2004 18:11:21 GMT
Geoffrey Young wrote:

> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>Some of the autoconfig magic starts to create more overhead than it used
>>to safe. e.g. all this magic of t/hooks/TestHooks is no longer useful,
>>as we add more tests and the test names aren't mapping 1:1 to the phase
>>name.
>

>>I think we should start stripping those special cases from A-T. Same
>>goes for filters which magically figures out which filter handler to
>>register.
>

> I think I follow what you're talking about - like for
> hooks/TestHooks/authz.pm the PerlAuthzHandler is automatically added to
> httpd.conf even though it's not in the final config in __DATA__?

correct. And if you rename that phase to some other name it's will try
to add some bogus handler name instead.

> personally, I always found this (single) bit of automagic very, very
> confusing.  so +1 to remove that bit and just require that __DATA__ be the
> config that you want.

Cool

what about the other thing I have mentioned? t/response vs. special
t/hooks/TestHooks (protocols and filters?)

> is there more that <NoAutoConfig> suppresses?

There is a lot more, but at most other places, it works fine and saves a
lot of typing and maintenance. So normally you won't need to disable
autoconfig.