perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: DSO
Date Fri, 06 Aug 2004 23:27:22 GMT
David Wheeler wrote:
> On Aug 6, 2004, at 2:45 PM, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> You may want to check the archives, David. There was a lot of
>> discussion regarding this issue.
>>   http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/
>> install.html#When_DSO_can_be_Used
>> documents the state of the art of the most recent discussion, I
>> believe. If things have changed, feel free to ammend the text.
>

> I don't know if things have changed or not; I just want to make sure
> that my reading of the FAQ is correct. And that reading is: for Perl
> 5.6 and later, I can use a DSO mod_perl if either usemymalloc='n' _or_
> bincompat5005 is undefined. Is that right?

Yes, it's a confusing explanation. How about this rewrite:

First check which malloc Perl was built with, by running:

   % perl -V:usemymalloc

If you get:

   usemymalloc='n';

which means that Perl is using the system malloc, mod_perl will work
fine as DSO.

If you get:

   usemymalloc='y';

which means that Perl is using its own malloc. If you are running Perl
older than 5.6.0, you must rebuild Perl with C<-Uusemymalloc>.

If you are running Perl 5.6.0 and higher, you must make sure that you
have the binary compatibility with Perl 5005 turned off. To check run:

   % perl -V:bincompat5005

If you get:

   bincompat5005='define';

then you must rebuild Perl with C<-Ubincompat5005>. You can continue
using Perl's malloc if that's a better choice for your OS.