perl-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <>
Subject Re: [apr] dropping Apache2/ subdir for APR::*
Date Fri, 02 Jul 2004 00:17:11 GMT
Stas Bekman <> writes:

> Of course for this to happen we need more hands to do the work,
> and probably we shouldn't even start to do it now, instead spending
> all the resources to get mp2 out first.

+1 for putting this on the back burner.  Very soon there
will be two apr versions in the wild: 0.9.X and 1.0.X.  I
think we should watch what sort of conflicts occur before
ripping APR:: out of mp2.

For instance, if APR:: were a separate release right now,
post apr-1 some user will install the APR:: package from
CPAN, and then later on might want httpd-2.0.50 with modperl2.
After installing httpd-2.0.50, mp2 will then need to either
tell this guy to replace httpd-2.0 with httpd-2.2, or reinstall
a new APR:: using apr-0 instead (which may break other APR::
apps he's already using), or else mp2 will have to supply its
own APR:: modules, in a non-colliding fashion (probably via
MP_INST_APACHE2=1, even though mp1 isn't even being discussed).

Far more trouble that it's worth, IMHO.

Joe Schaefer

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: