perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject [apr] dropping Apache2/ subdir for APR::*
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2004 23:21:30 GMT
As we work to really have APR:: independant from mod_perl, I think it also
makes sense to *not* install APR:: into Apache2/ subdir, so that one doesn't
need to load Apache2.pm in order to use APR:: standalone. There is no problem
installing APR libs into the top level, since mp1 didn't have APR.

Though let's think about the future now. What happens when APR 2 is released
(currently we have APR 1, don't confuse with Apache 2.x). How do we ensure
that several APR generations can co-exist under the same perl install?

In fact I think it's quite possible that at some point we will completely
decouple perl-apr from modperl on the repository level (same as apr and
apr-util are not part of the httpd-2.0 repository). So one will be able to
download a source for perl-apr, and not build modperl at all if all they want
is perl apr. Of course for this to happen we need more hands to do the work,
and probably we shouldn't even start to do it now, instead spending all the
resources to get mp2 out first.