perl-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>
Subject [mp2] 2 APR issues on Win32
Date Fri, 18 Jun 2004 18:09:28 GMT
I've been working at getting the APR::* modules
decoupled from mod_perl.so on Win32, and have run
into a couple of things that I'm not sure about ...

- one is how to automatically generate the .def file (and
also the .exp file on AIX) for the APR module (which
contains the symbols needed by APR::*). I've tried to get
build/source_scan.pl working to generate the function
tables, but there's issues on Win32 that seem involved to
solve (I'm also having problems on my linux system with
this, where it chokes when encountering some apreq stuff).
As a temporary thing, would it be acceptable to manually
create something like
   xs/tables/current/APR/FunctionTable.pm
and populate it with the needed functions, and generate the
def/exp file from that? It would mean manually maintaining
this file until the necessary changes are implemented to
automatically generate it, which isn't an ideal situation,
but perhaps that's OK for the time being?

- the other thing I think is a Win32 specific problem. When
linking, for example, APR::Table against APR.lib to resolve
the symbols formerly in mod_perl.so, I get an error about
not finding APR.dll. This can be fixed by adding the
directory APR.dll lives in to the PATH, but that's ugly, and
hard to make portable. What I was hoping is that if, for
example, APR::Table loaded APR, this issue would be
resolved. However, a simple
   use APR ();
within APR::Table doesn't do the trick. But I'm probably
misunderstanding what it means to load things in this
context - is it just putting in this 'use APR' in the .pm
file? Or is there more to it?

There's some other issues involved here that I think I
have worked out, at least conceptually - I'll raise those
in a separate message. Thanks.

--
best regards,
randy