perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [mp2] 2 APR issues on Win32
Date Sat, 19 Jun 2004 19:49:36 GMT
Randy Kobes wrote:
> I've been working at getting the APR::* modules
> decoupled from mod_perl.so on Win32, and have run
> into a couple of things that I'm not sure about ...
>
> - one is how to automatically generate the .def file (and
> also the .exp file on AIX) for the APR module (which
> contains the symbols needed by APR::*). I've tried to get
> build/source_scan.pl working to generate the function
> tables, but there's issues on Win32 that seem involved to
> solve (I'm also having problems on my linux system with
> this, where it chokes when encountering some apreq stuff).
> As a temporary thing, would it be acceptable to manually
> create something like
>    xs/tables/current/APR/FunctionTable.pm
> and populate it with the needed functions, and generate the
> def/exp file from that? It would mean manually maintaining
> this file until the necessary changes are implemented to
> automatically generate it, which isn't an ideal situation,
> but perhaps that's OK for the time being?

I think it makes a perfect sense to have APR/FunctionTable.pm, all we need to
do is to change the source scan to send /*apr_/ functions to
APR/FunctionTable.pm and probably the same for ConstantsTable.pm and
StructureTable.pm, and adjust the rest of the code to use these new tables.

> - the other thing I think is a Win32 specific problem. When
> linking, for example, APR::Table against APR.lib to resolve
> the symbols formerly in mod_perl.so, I get an error about
> not finding APR.dll. This can be fixed by adding the
> directory APR.dll lives in to the PATH, but that's ugly, and
> hard to make portable. What I was hoping is that if, for
> example, APR::Table loaded APR, this issue would be
> resolved. However, a simple
>    use APR ();
> within APR::Table doesn't do the trick. But I'm probably
> misunderstanding what it means to load things in this
> context - is it just putting in this 'use APR' in the .pm
> file? Or is there more to it?

Yes, yes, it makes a perfect sense. All that needs to be done is to change the
autogenerator of WrapXS/APR/*/*.pm files to automatically include 'use APR
()'; Though it probably will require some sort of code split for the APR case,
I haven't look at the code.