perl-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: [mp2] map to storage handler
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2004 19:17:05 GMT

> that's right - if you are implementing a PerlMapToStorageHandler then you
> are in charge of handling all the logic that is required of core if you
> return OK.  this is exactly the same as it used to be with the
> PerlTransHandler - return OK and you better be sure that you set
> $r->filename to the real file or else things wont work as expected.

ok, this still holds true.

> you can't do that - HOOK_RUN_FIRST means that httpd core would always return
> OK and prevent the mod_perl callback from running.

but this is only partially true - core_map_to_storage runs REALLY_LAST
(sorry for not checking first).  so maybe we can run PerlMapToStorage LAST. ..

the only problem with that, though, is that if you want to implement your
own protocol via the mod_perl API core will be handling TRACE requests even
though they may not be part of your protocol.  normally add-on modules
(which is essentially Perl handlers in userspace) would run FIRST to
override core behaviors, such as the HTTP specific ones.

boy, I wish I had the time to work on that dynamic hook ordering thing again
- it would be the perfect solution here.

--Geoff