perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject [mp2] last call for $filter->read
Date Wed, 02 Jun 2004 03:23:50 GMT
I think this is the last function in the read() family that needs tweaking
(currently most errors are silently ignored). I've changed the API to be
consistent with the rest of modperl 2.0 read functions, and the only added
inconvenience is that you need to add defined inside while call. So instead of
writing:

     while ($filter->read(my $buffer, $wanted)) {
         $filter->print($buffer);
     }

You will write:

     while (defined(my $buffer = $filter->read($wanted))) {
         $filter->print($buffer);
     }

The existing API is badly broken, since there is no way to break the while
loop in case of an error. It was working perfectly when there are no errors.

Errors are now checked internally and exceptions are thrown if anything goes
wrong.

I've adjusted all the tests and they all pass fine. Let me know if you have
any problem with that change.