perl-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: [Patch mp2] PerlSections namespace
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2003 20:40:11 GMT

>> it's similar to Apache->server->add_config() in mp2, but I've found that
>> method really not worth the trouble - it's goverened by overrides, so you
>> can never really trust that it will add the configuration data you
>> pipe into it.
>

> That's exactly why people do *not* need to work directly with
> Apache::ReadConfig - they have Apache->server->add_config() (and we are
> talking about mp2). If people can achieve the same thing without using
> Apache::ReadConfig, I think it should be completely deprecated, which
> avoids the problem altogether. That's why I wanted to know if there are
> cases where it's absolutely needed and you can't go without it.

well, as I said, add_config() can't accomplish the same thing.  in fact,
every time I've tried to use add_config() the way I want I haven't been able
to.  not that it's not useful for some things, but it's not useful for the
level of trickery that I'm used to being able to do with ReadConfig.

> I think this case:
>
> <Perl>
>   package Foo;
>   my $whatever = whatever();
>   package Apache::ReadConfig;
>   $User = $whatever;
> </Perl>
>
> can now become:
>
> <Perl>
>   package Foo;
>   my $whatever = whatever();
>   Apache->server->add_config("$User $whatever");
> </Perl>

this is entirely different than what I'm talking about.

> Though it's probably not going to be simple for creating more complex
> config directives, e.g complex containers. Can you think of a good
> solution for that case?

I haven't tried add_config for containers, but it's interface seems
straightforward enough (when it works at all).

--Geoff