perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [mp2] raising the default startup timeout
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2003 18:59:28 GMT
Geoffrey Young wrote:

> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>As our test suite grows it takes more and more time to start the server,
>>the worker mpm almost always fail to start within 60 secs on my machine
>>(which is pretty fast). And now we get reports from users who run
>>prefork and it takes 68 secs to start.
>

> yikes.  I got 49 seconds last night, so I guess it is pretty close

And that's on Unloaded machine. Try to do some heave things at the same time
(e.g. run another test suite or compilation) and the startup time will double.

>>So I'd suggest to make the default per server mpm and not one for all
>>and go with 120 secs for prefork and 180 worker/winnt. If it sometimes
>>takes more than 90 secs to start worker on my machine, I can see it
>>hitting 3 minutes on a slower machine.
>

> I'm in favor so long as the change is mod_perl specific - no need to burden
> the entire apache community with perl's bloat :)

Of course. We have the new argument -startup_timeout (which is still
misplaced), which we will set if it wasn't set already, just like maxclients.