perl-dev mailing list archives

From "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@cpan.org>
Subject Re: [Patch mp2] PerlSections namespace
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2003 00:50:56 GMT
On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 14:14, Geoffrey Young wrote:
> >> add_config() is equivalent to an .htaccess file - whatever overrides
> >> govern
> >> .htaccess files' ability to have directives inserted into the
> >> configuration
> >> will apply to add_config() as well.  that is very different from
> >> ReadConfig's blind addition of directives into the config.
> >

> > I thought it was behaving differently when called at the server startup.
> > In any case it's not pretty so it's not a good substitute...
>
> looks like you're right.  I tried to whip up some examples at startup but I
> couldn't find any.  I guess the failures I'm remembering were request time,
> when I tried to inject "Requires valid-user" or something on-the-fly and was
> denied by AllowOverride none.

That does make sense at runtime indeed. You don't want any registry to
be able to define new aliases and all at runtime when AllowOverride is
none.

> so maybe at startup it's not a bad idea after all :)

So, does this mean that you don't have a specific objection against
deprecating (or tossing) direct access to %Apache::ReadConfig:: in the
future in favor of ->add_config("User foo") ?

> --Geoff
Philippe M. Chiasson /gozer\@(cpan|ectoplasm)\.org/ 88C3A5A5 (122FF51B/C634E37B)
http://gozer.ectoplasm.org/    F9BF E0C2 480E 7680 1AE5 3631 CB32 A107 88C3 A5A5
Q: It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
perl -e'$$=\${gozer};{$_=unpack(P7,pack(L,$$));/^JAm_pH\n$/&&print||$$++&&redo}'