perl-dev mailing list archives

From "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@cpan.org>
Subject Re: [Patch mp2] PerlSections namespace
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2003 21:30:11 GMT
On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 12:53, Geoffrey Young wrote:
> >>package Apache::Foo;
> >>$Apache::ReadConfig::PerlFixupHandler = "Apache::Foo";
> >>sub handler { };
> >>
> >>now, PerlModule Apache::Foo automatically installs a PerlFixupHandler :)
> >>there are a few modules on CPAN that do this, IIRC.
> >

> > Yes, but this has always been partially broken as it is.
> >
> > For example:
> >
> > package Apache::Foo;
> > $Apache::ReadConfig::Alias = qw(/some/path /some/alias);
> >

> > If you only do :
> >
> > PerlModule Apache::Foo
> >
> > and have no <Perl> sections in your httpd.conf, that code will not
> > happen
>
> really?  I'll have to check that :)
>

> > If you have more than one <Perl> section, you'll get warnings about
> > re-defining an Alias directive for the same location, as the content of
> > Apache::ReadConfig:: will be read and processed for every <Perl> block.
>
> ugh, that's bad.

Yes, and when someone reported that problem in mp2, I thought I could
look at mp1 to see how that problem was avoided, but it wasn't. When I
ported <Perl> sections from mp1 to mp2, I sadly ported a lot of existing
problems/bugs as well ;-p

Time to fix it all, I guess.

> >>it's similar to Apache->server->add_config() in mp2, but I've found that
> >>method really not worth the trouble - it's goverened by overrides, so you
> >>can never really trust that it will add the configuration data you pipe into
it.

> > Can you give me one such example ?
>
> as I mentioned in reply to stas, add_config is equivalent to .htaccess files
> - so wherever .htaccess files are disallowed, so are add_config() additions.

Really? That's not quite DWIMy, isn't it? I would have thought
differently. That would be a bit sucky.

It's strange though, because <Perl> sections (and processing of
Apache::ReadConfig is dont thru add_config I believe).

Are you sure about this ?

> --Geoff
Philippe M. Chiasson /gozer\@(cpan|ectoplasm)\.org/ 88C3A5A5 (122FF51B/C634E37B)
http://gozer.ectoplasm.org/    F9BF E0C2 480E 7680 1AE5 3631 CB32 A107 88C3 A5A5
Q: It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
perl -e'$$=\${gozer};{$_=unpack(P7,pack(L,$$));/^JAm_pH\n$/&&print||$$++&&redo}'