perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [mp2] including a Win32 apxs?
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2003 05:37:05 GMT
Randy Kobes wrote:
> Hi,
>   I was wondering how it would be felt to include an offer
> in mp2 to get a Win32 version of apxs, if this was not
> detected. There's a tar.gz archive on perl.apache.org that
> contains this (plus apr-config and apu-config), so it would
> be a matter of fetching and extracting this, then running
> the included configure script to install. If this seems OK,
> it'd be nice to detect the absence of apxs early on in the
> build process so as the rest of the build can use the
> installed scripts - the following diff does this for the
> top-level Makefile.PL, but perhaps a better place is in
> Apache::Build? Thanks.

Ideally we should stop blowing up Makefile.PL, it's already too big. We should
think of having most of the support functions moved elsewhere. But this is not
urgent of course, just something to think of.

What's the verdict from Bill? Does httpd go on including it in the core? If
not, perhaps we should just bundle it with mod_perl? Or would it be a bad
idea? The fetch thing sounds OK, but what if the there is no network available
during the install? Also some people won't like "random" code being brought
and installed without them reviewing it first? May be Makefile.PL should die
telling the user what to do. e.g. we could include this fetch thing in a
build/fetch_win32_apxs and just tell the user to run it first, install it and
then return to the normal build? Just throwing ideas...