perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [mp2] support of the perl 5.9.x dev track
Date Tue, 04 Nov 2003 09:03:59 GMT
Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote:
> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>I'm wondering whether we should support releases of 5.9.x line or just support
>>the bleading edge moving target? Let's admit it, chances are that hardly
>>anybody is going to use 5.9.0 which Hugo has released recently. If we do
>>support 5.9.0 we need to apply some changes to mp2, without which it won't
>>comply. But these changes already don't apply for 5.9.0+ (current patch level).
>

> In which way the support for 5.9.0 is different from the support
> for 5.8.1 ?

5.9.0 == 5.8.2-RC1 hashing-wise. meaning that we need to support a whole bunch
of special cases, which don't exist anywhere else. We certainly can do that,
but it's just a lot of mess. I wish Hugo didn't rush to get 5.9.0 before 5.8.2
was ready. Now 5.9.0 is somewhat between 5.8.1 and 5.8.2.

> (I know at least one person who is considering at least semi-seriously
> running 5.9.0 + mp1 in production :-p)

well, please tell me if we should provide a support for it.

>>So we should either say that we support the latest blead patch level, or we do
>>support 5.9.x releases and drop this support once 5.10.0 is released.
>

> I think that supporting blead is the way to go. That way you keep
> up with the blead changes and can continue giving useful advice
> to p5p :)

blead yes, I didn't suggest not to support blead, I meant to suggest not to
support particular blead releases but just the head ;)

BTW, just finishing smoking 5.6.2 plays very nice with both mod_perl generations.