perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: saving the 'here is how to report bugs' cycle
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2003 05:01:36 GMT
Geoffrey Young wrote:

>>> we also might want to consider a nice completion banner of some sort.
>>

>> what do you mean? Like I did above? Of course...
>>
>>> I'm kinda partial to a format similar to one at the end of an
>>> apache-1.3 install myself :)
>>

>> We should probably use a distinct format if possible. Personally I'm
>> sort of so used to httpd's box, I always ignore it. So if they add
>> some important notice in there I won't notice. So may be we should use
>> a random border char...
>

> oh, I didn't mean the actual format of the box - do what you wish.

<subliminal message>
Me? I thought you wanted to do that? ;)
</subliminal message>

> I was more talking about perhaps pointers to the mod_perl homepage, your
> bug-reporting link, "Thanks for using mod_perl", etc - whatever we can
> put in there that makes it feel professional and informative, but not so
> much information that it's useless-via-overload.

IMHO, the purpose of this banner is to point to the one critical resource: how
to report bugs. Adding any extra non-essential information is going to make
the bug reporting resource less prominent and less memorable.

Actually the 'PerlModule Apache2' is essential too. So I'd put only two URLs
in that box:

#      Configure Problems? See:                                #
#  http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/intro/start_fast.html  #

#      Found a bug? File a Bug Report:                         #
#  http://perl.apache.org/bugs/                                #

the rest can be at those URLs. From those URLs people will reach the / of
http://perl.apache.org/ without any problems.

As for 'Thanks for using mod_perl'. Do we look less professional without it?