perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: saving the 'here is how to report bugs' cycle
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2003 04:20:35 GMT
Geoffrey Young wrote:

> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> You probably have noticed that almost every time there is a bug report
>> from a person who is doing this for the first time, we need to tell
>> them: go to
>> http://perl.apache.org/bugs and follow the guidelines for a proper
>> bug-report. I was thinking how can we save this wasteful cycle. For
>> example we could adjust the failure message of 'make test' (in both
>> mp1 and mp2) to provide that information.
>

> sure.  I had a similar thought this afternoon, which is why I pinged the
> pmc wondering where the list footers for modperl@ got off to...

Now I connect it ;) I've thought of this while reading an interview with Linus:
http://www.oetrends.com/news.php?action=view_record&idnum=277
Q: What do you use for bug reporting?

>> Certainly it's going to be hard with post-install problems. But we
>> could finish the 'make install' target with a banner explaining what
>> to do in the case of the post-install errors. Certainly this would be
>> missed by those who install RPMs and similar prepackaged distros
>> (though they could be changed to print a notice as well), but many
>> install from source so that would help a lot I think.
>>
>> Something as simple and outstanding as:

>> *                                                  *
>> * Got a problem? See http://perl.apache.org/bugs/  *
>> *                                                  *
>

> if we want to do that, some kind of bounding box for the information we
> already put out after 'make install' might be a good idea as well - the
> Apache2 stuff kinda gets hidden at the end of the output and doesn't
> stand out all that much.

sure, I've wanted this to happen long long time ago.

Actually it'd be a cool idea to have this feature in MakeMaker, so one just
needs to supply a text to print post 'make install'.

> we also might want to consider a nice
> completion banner of some sort.

what do you mean? Like I did above? Of course...

> I'm kinda partial to a format similar
> to one at the end of an apache-1.3 install myself :)

We should probably use a distinct format if possible. Personally I'm sort of
so used to httpd's box, I always ignore it. So if they add some important
notice in there I won't notice. So may be we should use a random border char...