perl-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: saving the 'here is how to report bugs' cycle
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2003 04:15:45 GMT

Stas Bekman wrote:
> You probably have noticed that almost every time there is a bug report
> from a person who is doing this for the first time, we need to tell
> them: go to
> http://perl.apache.org/bugs and follow the guidelines for a proper
> bug-report. I was thinking how can we save this wasteful cycle. For
> example we could adjust the failure message of 'make test' (in both mp1
> and mp2) to provide that information.

sure.  I had a similar thought this afternoon, which is why I pinged the pmc
wondering where the list footers for modperl@ got off to...

> Certainly it's going to be hard with post-install problems. But we could
> finish the 'make install' target with a banner explaining what to do in
> the case of the post-install errors. Certainly this would be missed by
> those who install RPMs and similar prepackaged distros (though they
> could be changed to print a notice as well), but many install from
> source so that would help a lot I think.
>
> Something as simple and outstanding as:

> * Got a problem? See http://perl.apache.org/bugs/  *

if we want to do that, some kind of bounding box for the information we
already put out after 'make install' might be a good idea as well - the
Apache2 stuff kinda gets hidden at the end of the output and doesn't stand
out all that much.  we also might want to consider a nice completion banner
of some sort.  I'm kinda partial to a format similar to one at the end of an
apache-1.3 install myself :)

--Geoff