perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: t/SMOKE on win32
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2003 18:45:43 GMT
Geoffrey Young wrote:

> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> Steve Hay wrote:
>>
>>> So presumably t/SMOKE uses Apache-Test/lib rather than blib/lib?
>>

>> All our tools try to use the live libs instead of blib, to make it
>> easy to develop.
>

> which doesn't work at all for third party XS modules, which is why we
> have those extra statements in modperl_inc.pl, and why we need to do
> that extra.last.conf.in foo in order to have XS modules seen at all.

I wasn't talking about 3rd party modules, but mp2 and Apache-Test's internals.
Please see below.

>> Imagine how error-prone would it be if one had to remember to run
>> 'make' after a single change is done to a file in lib/ or
>> Apache-Test/lib, not talking about the overhead.
>

> remembering to run 'make' between test runs is everyday life for most of
> us :)  I even have an alias for it
>
> alias test='make && perl -Mblib'
>
> $ test t/01foo.t
>
> personally, I'd rather see everything run out of blib - it just seems to
> make the most sense overall, and it's closer to what users of the other
> perl testing suites are used to.

-1 on removing it, as it'll turn the development cycle into a nightmare (at
least for me). +1 on turning this feature on only for the MAINTAINER mode.
Patches are welcome.

BTW, my notebook has a slow HD and running 'make' in modperl-2.0, even without
any compilations takes a minute and even longer.