perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: t/SMOKE on win32
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2003 18:39:47 GMT
Randy Kobes wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Stas Bekman wrote:
>

>>Randy Kobes wrote:
>
> [ ... ]
>
>>>And that does seem to work! A diff appears below (not tested
>>>on linux) - in this, I also added a change to TestServer.pm
>>>to print out a message on Win32 when shutting down the
>>>server, as that's expected when checking that the server
>>>successfully shut down in TestSmoke.pm.
>>
>>Great, Randy, +1 to commit, but please drop
>>

>>>+        print $log;
>>
>>in 3 places. If you want a verbose output run with -verbose.
>

> I haven't tested this on unix, but without the
>    print $log;
> statements what would happen is that there would be no
> output to the terminal screen at all until the smoking was
> completed. I thought it was nice to see at least the
> progress - which test was currently running, etc.

That's the idea. t/SMOKE runs thousands of tests, and you want to see any
output at all only if something goes wrong. We can print "." for each test if
you think it's really important. I have 'tail -F t/logs/error_log' open at all
times and I have the gkrellm running so I have a way too much visual
indication that things are working ;)

However I agree that t/SMOKE's output and report need more polishing, it's a
moving target, but let's do one step at a time. First get it working on winFU
and then polish the output...

> And isn't
> "verbose" different, in that it will include the results of
> running the subtests within each test?

t/SMOKE redefines the meaning of -verbose as you know it from t/TEST, perphaps
we need to use a different flag. it only prints the 'test .... ok' lines.
Please give it a try.

Only when it hits the error it'll print the *verbose* output of the test and
only the relevant chunk of the error_log file. Try to make one of the tests
fail and you will see how cool it is ;)