perl-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: t/SMOKE on win32
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2003 18:30:11 GMT

Stas Bekman wrote:
> Steve Hay wrote:
>
>> So presumably t/SMOKE uses Apache-Test/lib rather than blib/lib?
>

> All our tools try to use the live libs instead of blib, to make it easy
> to develop.

which doesn't work at all for third party XS modules, which is why we have
those extra statements in modperl_inc.pl, and why we need to do that
extra.last.conf.in foo in order to have XS modules seen at all.

> Imagine how error-prone would it be if one had to remember
> to run 'make' after a single change is done to a file in lib/ or
> Apache-Test/lib, not talking about the overhead.

remembering to run 'make' between test runs is everyday life for most of us
:)  I even have an alias for it

alias test='make && perl -Mblib'

$ test t/01foo.t

personally, I'd rather see everything run out of blib - it just seems to
make the most sense overall, and it's closer to what users of the other perl
testing suites are used to.

--Geoff