perl-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Hay <steve....@uk.radan.com>
Subject Re: [mp1] 1.28 release candidate #2
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2003 16:12:43 GMT
Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:

>On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 23:00, Steve Hay wrote:
>

>>Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
>>

>>>Now bringing you the second mod_perl 1.28 release candidate.
>>>[snip]
>>>Please give this release a spin and report back any problems or failed tests to:
>>>dev@perl.apache.org as soon as possible. The more platforms & configurations,
the
>>>merrier!
>>>

>>Windows XP, Apache 1.3.27, Perl 5.8.0:
>>
>>Failed Test       Stat Wstat Total Fail  Failed  List of Failed
>>modules/request.t               10    6  60.00%  3-8
>>

>Is it possible that you have an older version of Apache::Request lying
>around that was not recompiled against this new mod_perl ? (hapenned to
>me more than once)

I did initially have libapreq-1.1 compiled against mp-1.27.  I've now
tried 1.2 compiled against the new mod_perl, and I still get the same
result.  (I have Apache-Test 1.03 in place, if that's at all relevant.)

>What's in the error_log?

Loads of stuff -- I've attached it (gzipped).

>>Philippe: Is the Apache::Reload stuff not going to make it into 1.28?  I
>>think it would be well worth waiting a little longer for 1.28 if that
>>could make it in.
>>

>Well, maybe, maybe not. In any case, I am planning to go at a mp 1.29
>release fairly soon after 1.28 hits the decks. There are still quite a
>few itty-gritty bugs I want to hammer out of mod_perl 1, but that are
>yet a bit too touchy to roll up in a release without letting the CVS
>user some time to see it work/break for them.
>
>If you feel like submitting a back-port of Apache::Reload (with or
>without my new namespace deletion code), that has a few decents tests
>for it and works with perl 5.5.3 up to bleadperl, I would be happy to
>slip it into mp 1.28 with a version of 1.0_0 or similar to make sure
>CPAN won't be fooled into installing it for now. Just noticed there is
>Apache::Reload 0.07 on CPAN, so it would be safe.

The last patch that I submitted
(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl-dev&m=105595499417788&w=2)
almost fits the bill -- just remove the "if (MOD_PERL2)" stuff at the
top for a mp1-only version.

However, that uses the B module, which is only available from 5.005_03
up.  That's all that you're asking for above, but when I previously
pointed out that the current mp1 Makefile.PL specifies 5.003_97 up (in
general, different on Win32/cygwin), you said that you didn't want to
have to up the minimum requirement to 5.005_03.

I also currently have no idea how to write tests for Apache modules and
I'm unlikely to learn in the next couple of days, so unless you're happy
with a 5.005_03 requirement for Apache::Reload and either don't mind
having no tests or else can write some yourself then it looks like I'll
have to wait until 1.29.

Steve