perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Apache::Reload Module]
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2003 06:13:37 GMT

> I guess Apache::Symbol might need to be re-created for mp2.  According
> to :
> $> fgrep Apache::Symbpl mp2/docs/deprecated_features.txt
>   + Apache::Symbol: unknown
>
> There are only 3 functions in there, and they are:
> undef
> sv_name
> cv_const_sv
>
> I don't see why we can't find some room for those somewhere in mp2,
> especially the magical 'undef' function in there.

As suggested in the other thread, may be these functions are available
elsewhere in the core modules?

> Stas: BTW, for Apache::Reload, to get rid of that constant subroutine
> redefined, that XS implemtation would get rid of it without a need for
> skip_redefine_const_sub_warn. No more $SIG{__WARN__} ;-)

True. I have just read the Apache::Symbol code, I always thought that its
public API is gensym. How interesting. I was reinventing the wheel. Again.

> How about if I ported Apache::Symbol::undef to ModPerl::Util::undef ?

How about asking Doug (offline) why did he put it into the deprecated list and
act accordingly?

ModPerl::Util::undef doesn't sound intuitive, I'd rather go with:
ModPerl::Util::symbol_undef