perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [mp2 Patch] Simple changes to current Apache::Reload for mp1 & mp2
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2003 04:52:17 GMT
Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 12:22, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
>>
>>>I needed this simple patch to get Apache::Reload working in mp1.
>>>
>>>Any objections to at least applying this so it is ready for possible
>>>inclusion in mp1's upcoming release?
>>>
>>>Of course, if Steve Hay's suggestions make it through, keeping the
>>>backwards compatibility would become important as well.
>>>
>>>Gozer out.
>>
>>you obviously haven't tested it with perl 5.005. what about the 'warnings' pragma?
>

> Oupss, my bad ;-( But that's quite trivially fixable, isn't it?

either if (MP2) require warnings; warnings->import/unimport. else local $^W...

or do similar to Apache::Test5005compat, implementing a dummy warnings module.
However this won't quite work since we do want to  local $^W = 0 on reload
where the warnings pragma isn't available.

>>I think Apache::Reload is simple enough to have two copies of it, adjusted for
>>each mod_perl generation.
>

> It's also quite simple enough to have one copy handle mp1 and mp2 with
> only a few lines of code. Or is that a "bad thing" ?

Not a bad thing, just a bit of a mess.

>>If we "hijack" Matt's distro and keep it as a separate module on CPAN, only
>>syncing modperl and modperl-2.0 trees, then it's a whole different story. but
>>again we hit this problem with PAUSE still not quite supporting bundling :(
>>(i.e. we don't want CPAN.pm to try to install mod_perl, when someone is trying
>>to install Apache::Reload)
>

> That's indeed a problem with CPAN ;-( Then why not simply make sure
> Apache::Reload works with both mod_perl generations and maintain it on
> CPAN? As long as there is only one version of it and that it works with
> mp1 and mp2, I don't see what the problem could be.
>
> perl -MCPAN -e 'install Apache::Reload'
>
> Another problem I can see is someone having a dual setup with both mp1
> and mp2. Shoulb be able to install Apache::Reload once in site_perl, not
> twice in mp specific PREFIXes ...

Currently this problem doesn't exist. If we make it live on CPAN we have to
make sure that it doesn't go into Apache2/, that's it. It doesn't matter if it
goes to site_perl or else otherwise.

>>Proposal: keep the two separate for now, just make sure that the versions are
>>different. For example 1.00 for mp1 and 2.00 for mp2. For the next release(s)
>>hopefully PAUSE will support bundles and then we can decide how to act.
>

> Proposal: Just take Apache::Reload off mp2 and released on CPAN.

<inertia mode>but Apache::StatINC was always in mp1. Apache::Reload is just a
better replacement</inertia mode>