perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: rfc: adding a bootstrap magic check to mp2 DSO libs
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2003 07:20:25 GMT
Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-06-06 at 01:08, Geoffrey Young wrote:
>
>>>we could md5 the perl binary?
>>
>>eeck!
>>
>>what about computing an MD5 hash of various attributes of both perl and
>>mod_perl - combine a few important bits from $Config the important version
>>and compile options from mod_perl/apache?
>

> I've got nothing against combining a few important bits from Config and
> others, but please no MD5 hashing ;-( I'd rather use the perl way:
>
> perl -V:archname
> i686-linux-perlio
>
> otherperl -V:archname
> i686-linux-thread-multi-perlio
>
> The difference is obvious, as opposed to this:
>
> "error. binary incompatibility detected with
> 4648526406e458418670b4360eea66e0 vs 52daab6784de496a3c123fa1b3b442b8,
> please fix this!"

the point was different. I've suggested to use md5 string for a quick testing.
whereas the number of string options can grow to be quite big. You can still
store the user-friendly information and display it on error.

> "error. binary incompatibility detected with i686-linux-perlio vs
> i686-linux-thread-multi-perlio please fix this!"
>
> But I've tried before and it's quite tricky to get the exact right
> combination of $Config, USE_LARGE_FILES, etc that will guarantee binary
> compatibility.

exactly: and USE_LARGE_FILES, and glibc version and what not.

I'm thinking about a simpler approach. generate a random unique number and use
it for comparison. The real problem that we have, is using Apache/Foo.so
against mod_perl.so that it wasn't produced with. Just ensuring that
Apache/Foo.so was made by a particular mod_perl.so will work just fine.

Have I missed something?

> But I do agree we should be trying as hard as possible ;-)

since you say you have tried before, do you have some prototypes we can re-use?