perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: Objections to a mp-1.28 release candidate ?
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2003 07:07:29 GMT
Randy Kobes wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Issac Goldstand wrote:
>

>>(sorry if this repeats  -stupid mail-client cc-ed it to docs-dev, and not
>>sure if I managed to intercept it)
>>
>>Randy,
>>  Any chance we'll see a mp-1.28 binary against activestate perl 804
>>(5.8.0)?
>>
>>  Issac
>

> Hi Issac,
>    The problem with activestate 8xx is that they enabled
> USE_LARGE_FILES support, which causes a conflict in mp1 with
> Apache Win32 binaries. And it didn't seem easy to fix mod_perl to
> avoid this conflict. One could get around this by, eg,
> recompiling the activeperl 8xx sources without USE_LARGE_FILES
> support, but then I don't think one is guaranteed compatibility
> with ActivePerl binaries. But perhaps someone might have
> experience mixing binary packages compiled with and without
> large_files support on Unix?

that will work only if the application doesn't use any API which happens to
rely on variables whose type depends on whether USE_LARGE_FILES is on or off.
For example size_t will be different with and without USE_LARGE_FILES. So you
may experience in the best case segfaults in the worst case subtle bugs, like
we had in the seek() implementation of APR::PerlIO when perl and apr libs
weren't both compiled with large files enabled.