perl-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: a new stacked handlers paradigm
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2003 12:50:49 GMT

> I prefer to extend modperl_handler_lookup_handlers to pick up this
> information from autogenerated code, same as it's done with desc.

ok, so you want another field added in addition to the desc.  how should this be passed
from modperl_handler_lookup_handlers, by reference as with desc?

then you want modperl_hooks.c to have a series of parallels for
MP_modperl_handler_desc_per_dir for setting the run type, and a separate function to
parallel set_desc?

> Why
> clutter the maintenance and run-time overhead? It's correct that you
> don't need to call lookup_handlers() and you have all the info, but you
> still need to add a switch and ugly sets of ifs. Since you are already
> calling modperl_handler_lookup_handlers why not pick the information
> from there and avoid any branching at all?
>
> See the other thread I've spawned from this one. We probably want to
> handle VOID types differently as well, so it's a perfect addition to the
> work you do.  in that case the run_all var must be a tri-state (that's
> why I've suggested enums).

ok, I'll hold off on another patch until after we resolve the VOID issue, then I'll try it

  from modperl_handler_lookup_handlers instead and see how it goes.

--Geoff