perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [rfc] APR::Table & polymorphic values
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2003 07:49:21 GMT
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:
>

>>Joe, what meta data are you talking about? Is it that new
>>things that you've merged into apr tables?
>

> Yup.

Is it committed already? I must have been looking at the old implementation then.

> Whenever someone does a table lookup in apreq-2, the
> returned character string is always the last attribute of an
> apreq_value_t struct, (which is also the last attribute of
> either an apreq_param_t or an apreq_cookie_t struct).
>
> For apreq-2, it would be nice if the c2perl conversion glue
> was able to take this metadata into account.

>>Can you please point me to the source you are talking about?
>

> See httpd-apreq-2/src/apreq.h for the definition of apreq_value_t .
> All the parsers in apreq_parsers.c add param->v.data to the
> request body table, the cookie parser in apreq_cookie.c adds
> cookie->v.data to the jar->cookies table.

but you don't store apreq_value_t in the apr_table, you store only
apreq_value_t->data. Do I miss some trick with data[1], as explained here:
http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/q2.6.html ?

>>Also how about using a sub-class of APR::Table which
>>overrides get/set to read/write this meta data?
>

> Yes, that's a very good approach, and may be what
> we wind up needing for apreq-2.
>

>>It's probably more maitenance overhead, but will be faster
>>code-wise, no?
>

> Yes to the maintenance, since a lot of the APR::Table
> XSUBs would need overriding. Dunno about the performance
> question- it's just a few extra pointer dereferences and
> another C-function call, which may be faster than perl's
> OO dispatch.

The question is whether this hit (e.g. magic retrieval) is wanted for the
general case. APR::Table is