perl-dev mailing list archives

From "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@cpan.org>
Subject Re: [Fwd: Apache::Reload Module]
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2003 05:07:33 GMT
On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 16:35, Steve Hay wrote:
> Hi Stas,
>
> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
> > Steve Hay wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Philippe,

> >> Done. Attached.
> >

> > If this is useful in other places we can add it to ModPerl::Util::
> > perhaps we should make further subclassing of that namespace.
>
> I agree.  ModPerl::RegistryCooker looks like it could use it for a start
> (in place of its flush_namespace_normal() function).
>

> >> +use B;
> >> +use Devel::Symdump;
> >

> > Hmm, do these available for perl 5.005_03? Have you tested with that
> > perl version? mp1 has to support perl 5.005_03 I think. Or was it 5.004?
>
>  From mp1.27's Makefile.PL:
>
> if ($Is_Win32) {
>     require 5.004_02;
> } elsif ($Is_Cygwin) {
>     require 5.005_03;
> } else {
>     require 5.003_97;
> }

lol, nasty! I never noticed that ;-)

> Devel::Symdump says "use 5.003;" and is a standalone CPAN module (not a
> core module), so no problem there.
>
> The B module, however, is a core module, not distributed separately on
> CPAN.  The perl5005delta manpage lists it as a "New Module", so
> hopefully we'll be OK back to 5.005_03, though it does still need
> testing, of course.  Would it hurt to increase mp1's minimum requirement
> to 5.005_03 for all OS's?

Yes it would, IMHO. Upgrading Perl can be a huge complicated pain in the
butt for people. And if I have this old production sun box, running perl
5.003 (as I've seen as recently as a few months ago), hapilly running
mod_perl 1.27. Then it means that upgrading to future versions of
mod_perl will trigger a potentially painfull Perl upgrade as well.

And as I've shown in my other posting, I belive it will possible to
implement what I've suggested without relying on Devel::Symdump, B or
any other Core modules.

Just wait for the patch ;-)

> Steve
Philippe M. Chiasson /gozer\@(cpan|ectoplasm)\.org/ 88C3A5A5 (122FF51B/C634E37B)
http://gozer.ectoplasm.org/    F9BF E0C2 480E 7680 1AE5 3631 CB32 A107 88C3 A5A5
Q: It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
perl -e'$$=\${gozer};{$_=unpack(P7,pack(L,$$));/^JAm_pH\n$/&&print||$$++&&redo}'