perl-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe+apa...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: resolving Apache::Test vs. Apache::test collision
Date Tue, 06 May 2003 01:13:01 GMT
Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:

> We have a problem with using the Apache::Test name, more correctly we have a
> problem with using the Apache/Test.pm filename. On platforms with
> case-insentive filesystems (winFU, Mac OS X) if mod_perl 1.x is installed,
> there is Apache/test.pm (notice the lower case 't'). So when you say 'use
> Apache::Test' it loads Apache::test. Boom, nothing works.
>
> There are several routes we can take to resolve this problem:
>
> 1. rename Apache::Test to something else. David Wheeler has proposed to use
> Apache::Tester (or even swap the sides: Test::Apache).
>
> 2. add a new package Apache::TestLoad which will deal with loading the right
> Apache::Test package, by replacing 'require Apache::Test' with search for
> 'Apache/Test.pm' in @INC and doing do $file; on the full path. That solves the
> problem, of loading the right file but you will have to replace all instances
> of 'use Apache::Test;' with 'use Apache::TestLoad;', but still using the
> functions from Apache::Test. Since they are all imported by default, this is
> not a big issue. It's just confusing that use 'Apache::TestLoad'.

I like using the idea of using/reserving Test::Apache here.  Why not combine
options 1 & 2 by making Test::Apache the package loader for Apache::Test
(ie, instead of Apache::TestLoad)?  That way, 3rd party modules that
have problems with Apache::test can use Test::Apache, and httpd-test
development can continue within the Apache::Test namespace.

Seems like a workable compromise to me: if all we have to do is
s/Apache::Test/Test::Apache/ for libapreq-1.x, that seems easy
enough.

--
Joe Schaefer