perl-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe+gm...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: [patch] C implementation of $r->content + rfc on the name
Date Tue, 20 May 2003 03:24:52 GMT
Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:

[...]

> I haven't looked at the AP_MODE_SPECULATIVE yet :( I will.
>
> My main concern that the above doesn't answer is how the apreq filter
> co-operates with other custom input filters. It has to be inserted on
> the very top, so not to miss any transformations on the request body,
> but Apache provides no API to ensure that a certain filter will be run
> very last (which is actually very first in the input-terminology).

It's a catch 22 at the moment.  How does ANY request filter that
modifies to incoming buckets ensure that it's added to the input filter
chain at just the right spot?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to
me that ordering the input chain is something a user has to take
considerable care to ensure.

Up to now, I've been working under the assumption that

  1) automatic filter injection for apreq will be
     Apache::Request::new()'s responsibility.  If
     any handler wants to use Apache::Request, the
     apreq filter will push itself onto r->filters_in
     at this line

        my $req = Apache::Request->new($r);

     If a filter wants apreq to see its transformations,
     it had better already be in the filter chain before
     then.

  2) the mod_apreq filter can also be manually injected by
     the user, by using the standard apache filter api,
     in cases where apreq might be otherwise inject itself
     prematurely.

> I suppose that this somehow will work if apreq filter injects itself
> at the very last moment and the user has to be aware of how it works,

Sure, and so will the developers :-).  I'm sure we'll
have to make lots of modifications to the filter code
once the perl API is available for testing.  We'll
probably also need help from httpd on how
AP_MODE_SPECULATIVE is *supposed* to be implemented
by transforming filters, since the typical bow-out
behavior a'la mod_deflate is surely incorrect.

--
Joe Schaefer