perl-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>
Subject Re: [mp1] Volunteering to be RM for mod_perl 1.28
Date Fri, 23 May 2003 03:17:02 GMT
On Fri, 23 May 2003, Stas Bekman wrote:

> Geoffrey Young wrote:
>
> >> So, unless anybody objects today, I'll be posting the current mp1's
> >> status on (dev|modperl)@perl.apache.org to see if people can come up
> >> with other issues that could/should be slapped into 1.28.
> >
> > the Apache::test stuff definitely needs to be in there.
>
> so we need to rename Apache/test.pm with Apache/testold.pm and
> adjust all the tests.
>
> we need to ask Brian Behlendorf to add the following
> /home/cvs/CVSROOT/modules entry for mod_perl:
>
> modperl    modperl &apachetest-alias
>
> so Apache-Test will be bundled with modperl-1.x.
>
> However this is going to be a problem with PAUSE indexer, since
> we don't yet have tools for hiding dual-life CPAN packages from
> PAUSE indexer (not yet a problem with mp2, since it's not
> indexed). So we probably need to mangle 'make dist' to move
> Apache-Test into inc/Apache-Test, which hides it from the
> indexer, but also need to make sure that Makefile.PL picks up
> these files. Or may be we should not distribute Apache-Test
> with 1.xx... what do you think?

Is the worry that the Apache-Test/* in mp1 might get indexed by
PAUSE, and subsequently confuse that with the Apache-Test
distribution? I don't think that'd be a problem, as long as
Apache::Test is registered to a different CPAN author than the
one who submits mod_perl-1 (I'm not sure what happens in a
case where two people share ownership of two modules with the
same name ...). As an example, I have a module that uses an eval
with
   $eval = qq{
        package ExtUtils::MakeMaker::_version;
        blah;
   };
to do something, and the PAUSE indexer sees that as
an attempt to create a real ExtUtils::MakeMaker::_version,
but then denies such an attempt, as the real package
is registered to a different author.

As for mp2, is the following what you're referring to, Stas?
Right now mod_perl 2 isn't indexed by PAUSE, due to _ in the
distribution. But when it's officially released, there'll be
likely problems with the PAUSE indexer - mod_perl 2 contains
Apache::Connection, Apache::Filter, Apache::Module, and
Apache::SubProcess, all of which appear (and are recognized as
such by PAUSE) in different CPAN packages (this actually presents
a potential confusing point now - if one has mod_perl 2
installed, then CPAN.pm recommends, eg, upgrading Apache::Filter
to the mp1 Apache-Filter package ...). However, when mod_perl 2
gets officially released and is indexed, what might happen is
that PAUSE will refuse to index mp2's Apache::Filter, as that's
owned by Ken Williams, while the others (who are owned by Doug)
will get indexed, and those with the higher version will become
the recommended package ...

--
best regards,
randy