perl-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>
Subject Re: resolving Apache::Test vs. Apache::test collision
Date Tue, 06 May 2003 15:49:56 GMT
On Mon, 5 May 2003, Geoffrey Young wrote:

> Stas Bekman wrote:
> > We have a problem with using the Apache::Test name, more
> > correctly we have a problem with using the Apache/Test.pm
> > filename. On platforms with case-insentive filesystems
> > (winFU, Mac OS X) if mod_perl 1.x is installed, there is
> > Apache/test.pm (notice the lower case 't'). So when you say
> > 'use Apache::Test' it loads Apache::test. Boom, nothing
> > works.
>
> ok, so it's not like that I don't believe that this is an issue, but I
> don't believe you - if you have Apache/test.pm and you install 2.0
> then Apache/Test.pm would replace the existing file, no?  that's why
> Apache2 is around for all the mod_perl based stuff - to keep
> Apache::Filter from 2.0 from cloberring Apache::Filter from 1.0
>
> if installing Apache::Test doesn't clobber Apache::test on
> case-insensitive installations, _that_ seems like a bug to me :)

On Win32, at least, installing Apache::Test will clobber
Apache::test, but, from what I've experienced, it will
copy the Apache/Test.pm from blib/ to the system Apache/test.pm.
So one ends up with an Apache::test that is actually
Apache::Test. And vice versa - if you install, on a fresh
system, Apache::Test, so that you have a system Apache/Test.pm,
and then install Apache::test from mod_perl 1, you'll end
up with an Apache::Test that is actually Apache::test.

This isn't a Perl thing - from a DOS window, suppose
one has
   C:\test.txt
   C:\tmp\tESt.txt
Then doing a
  C:\> copy C:\temp\tESt.txt C:\
will result in C:\test.txt (actually being C:\tmp\tESt.txt).

An upshot of this is that, when installing Apache-Test,
a system file Apache/Test.pm or Apache/test.pm should
probably be unlinked before copying to the blib/ directory.

--
best regards,
randy