perl-dev mailing list archives

From David Wheeler <da...@wheeler.net>
Subject Re: resolving Apache::Test vs. Apache::test collision
Date Mon, 19 May 2003 21:54:24 GMT
On Tuesday, May 13, 2003, at 09:11  PM, Stas Bekman wrote:

> so that bug should be fixed in CPANPLUS, in any case new Apache/test
> will have a $VERSION

Yes. I sent them a patch. We'll see if they apply it.

> So we probably should check whether UNINST=1 is on, and if not (and if
> we find another test.pm in @INC) die telling users to set it on.

Yes.

> I've attached something that might work (apply against the current
> mod_perl 2.0 cvs). I've moved the real Apache::Test and Apache::test
> into different files. And replaced them with:
>
> Apache-Test/lib/Apache/test.pm
> ---------------------
> # this is a workaround for a collision we have on the case-insensitive
> # platforms which may have Apache/test.pm from mod_perl 1.0
> # installed.
>
> require Apache::TestReal;
>
> # this is a workaround for ExtUtils::MakeMaker::parse_version
> $VERSION = do { require Apache::test_mp1; $Apache::test::VERSION };
>
> 1;
> ---------------------
>
> and:
>
> Apache-Test/lib/Apache/test.pm
> ---------------------
> # this is a workaround for a collision we have on the case-insensitive
> # platforms which may have Apache/test.pm from mod_perl 1.0
> # installed.
>
> require Apache::test_mp1;
>
> # this is a workaround for ExtUtils::MakeMaker::parse_version
> $VERSION = do { require Apache::TestReal; $Apache::Test::VERSION; };
>
> 1;
> ---------------------

I'm sure you meant those to be "test.pm" and "Test.pm", since that's
what's in the patch. However, this won't work, because of course on
case-insensitive file systems, you can't have "test.pm" and "Test.pm"
in the same directory. If you put them into different directories, it
might work. But then you'd also have to put them into different
directories in @INC, too. :-(

Sorry to bring bad news.

Regards,

David