perl-dev mailing list archives

From David Wheeler <da...@wheeler.net>
Subject Re: resolving Apache::Test vs. Apache::test collision
Date Wed, 14 May 2003 03:58:39 GMT
On Tuesday, May 13, 2003, at 08:08  PM, Stas Bekman wrote:

> If an old mod_perl 1.0 is installed and it overrides Apache::Test,
> Makefile.PL will simply fail to satisfy the requirement of a specific
> version (because Apache::test's version is smaller than
> Apache::Test's).

Not sure I follow you here. CPAN.pm checks for such dependencies, but
Makefile.PL, AFAIK, does not. And CPANPLUS doesn't work right, FWIW,
because Apache::test has no version number at all, which CPANPLUS
(mistakenly) assumes means that it's up to date.

> However taking again this track of overriding test.pm, we may still
> have a problem in the following situation:
>
> root installs mod_perl 1.27 system-wide, user installs Apache::Test
> locally (can't unlink Apache/test.pm), this can be a problem if user's
> @INC are added after the system-wide ones. But that would be silly,
> isn't it?

Most likely, yes.

> If we are sticking with this track, we need to figure out the way to
> make sure that Apache/test.pm is nuked. David, if Apache-Test includes
> Apache/test.pm and Apache/Test.pm is it ensured that any other
> occurance of Apache/test.pm will be nuked?

I think only if UNINST=1.

HTH,

David

                                                Yahoo!: dew7e