perl-dev mailing list archives

From Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
Subject Re: $parms->info(), take 2
Date Fri, 30 May 2003 13:06:34 GMT

>> all those *.h files are full of both mpxs_ functions and static XS
>> functions, with functionaity implemented in one or the other seemingly
>> at random.  I have no idea how you would choose one format over the
>> other, but if the mpxs_ implementation makes you more comfortable,
>> that's fine - I'll commit that approach tomorrow.
>

> Even though they look random, they aren't. I have tried to document some
> of these here:
> http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/devel/core/explained.html#Adding_Wrappers_for_existing_APIs_and_Creating_New_APIs

wow.  here I am raking through the code trying to figure it all out and
there it is in print.

> Admittedly it's incomplete. I wrote that document when I was coping with
> this puzzle myself. As you are now coping with it, it'd help if you
> could improve that document.
>
> I believe Doug's idea was to have to write (and maintain) the minimal
> amount of code. So if you have a simple function where the args and
> return values can be converted from perl to C and back automatically,
> you use just that. If you have an optional number of args you use (...)
> and manipulate the stack. If you have a variable number/type of return
> args you use XS(). If you read the above section, things might get more
> clear.

yeah, that actually helps lots.  now I know what to do with the others that
will come :)  thanks stas.

anyway, I made the change and committed it this morning - all tests pass and
I can use it in real life just fine.

more stuff to come... :)

--Geoff