perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [mp2.0] make test fails; mod_perl also does not work
Date Mon, 26 May 2003 09:12:11 GMT
Olaf Bohlen wrote:
> Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:
>
> Hi,
>

>>can you run:
>>nm
>>/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/sun4-solaris/Apache2/auto/ModPerl/Const/Const.so
>>| grep Perl_sv_2pv
>>

>>I don't think Const.so uses this symbol, on my machine (linux-i386) it shows:
>>
>>% nm blib/arch/Apache2/auto/ModPerl/Const/Const.so | grep Perl_sv_2pv
>>          U Perl_sv_2pv_flags
>

> (4408) thing:/# nm /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/sun4-solaris/Apache2/auto/ModPerl/Const/Const.so
| grep Perl_sv_2pv
> [93]    |         0|       0|NOTY |GLOB |0    |UNDEF  |Perl_sv_2pv
>
> looks like it does

cool, so perl defines a different symbol on your platform. that's ok.

>>In any case, the problem is clear - for some reason you get older
>>libraries from previous installs loaded. It shouldn't try to load:
>>
>>/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/sun4-solaris/Apache2/auto/ModPerl/Const/Const.so
>>but blib/arch/Apache2/auto/ModPerl/Const/Const.so
>>
>>please back up
>>/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/sun4-solaris/Apache2 and then
>>nuke /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/sun4-solaris/Apache2. Don't
>>delete the tree before you back it up since I want to know why it
>>wasn't loading the new local build. If you nuke it without a backup we
>>won't be able to fix it.
>

> hooray, thanks! now it works. I have a nice tar-ball of the
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/sun4-solaris/Apache2 - do you
> want a copy of it?

No, no, I have no use of it. It's only useful on your platform. If you can
spend some time to figure out why these old libraries were loaded instead of
the new ones you will serve others who may fail a prey to this exact problem.
it shouldn't have loaded those installed libs.

So if you want to help, please put this backed up dir back and try to figure
out what should be changed in the build process in order to always pick the
current library. I will even give you a hint, download the perl-5.8.0 source
and look at how it runs 'make test'. For example for linux, it does:
LD_PRELOAD=`pwd`/libperl.so LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`pwd` make install
without which older libperl.so will be loaded causing all sorts of problems.

Try to build the perl source and see what it does when it gets to the 'make
test' stage if you can't find in hints/ dir. That file will be most likely:

perl -le 'print "hints/$^O.sh"'

but I'm not sure which of the solaris/sun variations is used.