perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [mp1] Apache::Status override keys in menu_item() sub
Date Mon, 26 May 2003 07:54:25 GMT
Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> In this old report
> [http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl&m=101559176217056&w=2]
> Enrico Sorcinelli notes the fact that it is possible to override the
> built-in menus in Apache::Status  with the menu_item() API.
>
> He believes this is a bad thing, and provided a patch that will disable
> this with a warning.
>
> I don't see a good reason why people shouldn't be able to do that. And
> after all, even if you block it thru menu_item, there will still be ways
> to achieve that.
>
> I can't find a good reason why people would want to override the
> built-in menus either. But I would prefer if the choice remained in the
> users hands.
>
> If nobody objects to this one, I'd consider the issue closed and remove
> it from STATUS

+1 to close -- I can see that this might be useful, if an evil module
overrides the core functionality as part of its load. But this is a debug
module, and different people will have a different concept of DWIM in this case.

Though it's probably a good idea to CC the original "bug" submitter when
discussing/closing those issues.