perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: APR::Table outside of modperl-2
Date Fri, 23 May 2003 05:03:04 GMT
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> writes:
>
> [...]
>

>>though I think that we weren't careful of not using any ap_ APIs in
>>APR domain (and several of those places are marked XXX), so you are
>>most likely to encounter segfaults and then we have to fix those ;)
>>
>>here is the first one:
>>
>>perl-blead-ithread -MApache2 -MAPR -le 'use APR::Table; use APR::Pool; \
>>$table = APR::Table::make(APR::Pool->new, 2);'
>>Segmentation fault
>

> Will do. It looks like (fingers crossed) apr is going to adopt the
> needed apr_table changes (for apreq-2) this week, so I'm starting
> to look at the XS stuff in modperl-2 now.  I'll be glad to help
> refine the APR api as I go.

Yup, I'm following the apr-dev list. The bummer is that Apache::Request will
require Apache 2.0.47 and may be even higher, since 2.0.46 is about to be
released, without your patches I think.

> But first I've been trying to figure out how you guys are generating
> the XS glue, since
>
>   % make source_scan
 >
 > isn't cutting it anymore.  Looks like you are now doing something
 > special with ExtUtils::XSBuilder, but I haven't quite figured it out.

No, mp2 doesn't use ExtUtils::XSBuilder

The current implementation is not quite working. Doug used to add strings to
keep it running as Apache/APR code was changing, but since he is not around
nobody does that any longer. We just keep on adding new functions manually to
xs/tables/current/, because users don't need the scan to build mod_perl. If
you can add a few strings to get it to work, that would be cool.

Gerald has a better implementation based on Parse::RecDescent, which he has
abstracted into
http://search.cpan.org/author/GRICHTER/ExtUtils-XSBuilder-0.23/ but the plan
to merge it back into mod_perl 2.0 was never started. I haven't heard from
Gerald for ages.

Hence, I've suggested to use ExtUtils::XSBuilder for apreq-2 perl glue.