perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: removing PerlLoadModule directive handler requirement
Date Thu, 22 May 2003 05:02:43 GMT

Before I address the branch of thought you are taking what do you say about this:

>> Basically all you want is for mp2 to behave the same as mp1, i.e.
>> start immediately and having PerlModule, PerlRequire do their job
>> right away.
>

> not exactly.  I think it's fine in most cases to have PerlModule behave
> as it does now.  it's in the exceptional cases that the problem resides.

Actually it's not fine now. Consider:

startup.pl:
-----------
my $conf = <<'EOC';
# must use PerlModule here to check for segfaults
PerlModule Apache::TestHandler
<Location /apache/add_config>
   SetHandler perl-script
   PerlResponseHandler Apache::TestHandler::ok1
</Location>
EOC
Apache->server->add_config([split /\n/, $conf]);

httpd.conf:
PerlRequire /path/to/startup.pl

As the current implementation goes we have a problem, because it won't work
unless something (<Perl> or PerlLoadModule) has triggered a perl startup and
the startup.pl file was actually required during the config phase.

So what I'm saying that your issue is not the only one that requires an early
perl startup. So may be the problem is more global and solving it will
automatically resolve your issue, without any heavy patching.