perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: Apache::Test renaming foo
Date Tue, 20 May 2003 23:25:53 GMT
Geoffrey Young wrote:
> that other thread was becoming too much to follow :)

Or would you rather say, that you are anxious to publish the article? ;)

> I thought it might be a nice idea to wrap up the issues thus far because
> it seems to me we have a consensus on how to resolve the Apache::[Tt]est
> collision issues.
>
> from what I can see, stas has come up with a few patches that make it
> possible for Apache-Test to be distributed such that current
> Apache::Test users will not need to make any interface changes.
> Apache::test users will need to install/upgrade to Apache-Test 1.03 in
> order to be certain that their tests will find the proper Apache::test
> module on all platforms (namely OS X).  of course, this all assumes that
> the tests themselves are platform independent, in which case they would
> be failing anyway :)
>
> in short, the current and documented API is remaining as is (barring any
> yet unseen issues :) and only users of the current Apache::test are
> affected.
>
> does that about sum it up?

The latest development on this front is different. The idea is to leave
Apache-Test as is, and rename Apache::test to Apache::testold or similar.
Adjust mod_perl-1.28 to use Apache::testold and migrate all 3rd party modules
to use Apache::testold by requiring mod_perl-1.28, or bundle the old
Apache/test in their distros, untill they get a chance to port to Apache::Test.

I'm not sure if we should distribute Apache::testold in Apache-Test. I'd
rather see this module as becoming deprecated.

Geoff, it'd be nice for your article to sum up this issue, once everybody is
happy with it. Looks to me like a perfect place and time.