perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: resolving Apache::Test vs. Apache::test collision
Date Tue, 20 May 2003 00:08:25 GMT
David Wheeler wrote:
> On Monday, May 19, 2003, at 03:43  PM, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> That's the trick. Each of these files contains both Apache::test and
>> Apache::Test (do you see that each has require() called twice?). So it
>> doesn't matter which one gets overwritten. Give it a try.
>

> But you can't have them both in the tarball, because users will get an
> error when they unpack them and will send you bug reports. Here's what
> happens when I apply the patch, just to give you an idea.
>
> mercury% patch -p0 < ~/Desktop/patch      The next patch would create
> the file Apache-Test/lib/Apache/test.pm,
> which already exists!  Assume -R? [n]
> Apply anyway? [n] y
> patching file Apache-Test/lib/Apache/test.pm
> Patch attempted to create file Apache-Test/lib/Apache/test.pm, which
> already exists.
> Hunk #1 FAILED at 1.
> 1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file
> Apache-Test/lib/Apache/test.pm.rej
> patching file Apache-Test/lib/Apache/test_mp1.pm
> patching file Apache-Test/lib/Apache/TestReal.pm
> patching file Apache-Test/lib/Apache/Test.pm

That's right. Let's try this next: I've attached a new patch, which moves the
creation of lib/Apache/test.pm into a Makefile.PL. On case-insensitive systems
it'll overwrite lib/Apache/Test.pm.

I wish there was a simple test to figure out whether a filesystem is
case-insensitive.

Also could it possible that under the same OS one partition is
case-insensitive while the other is not? If so, what happens if the package is
built on one but the target is the other?

Thanks David for testing!