perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: apache 2.0 vs 2.1
Date Wed, 14 May 2003 23:03:00 GMT
Geoffrey Young wrote:
> is there some generic way we want to think about integrating changes
> between apache 2.0 and 2.1?
>
> what is particularly piquing my interest (today) is the aaa stuff.  I
> wrote a patch that added the different AUTH_* constants to
> Apache::Const, but it clearly needs to be separated out somehow since
> mod_auth.h doesn't exist in 2.0.  same with ap_register_provider and
> some other functions that are useful for hooking into the new aaa scheme.
>
> so, what do we do?  not support 2.1 yet?  write in a bunch of ifdefs
> surrounding the new routines?  create new routines in the generation
> thingies that recognize the MMN and do the right thing?

We can't really support 2.1. If I understand correctly all features committed
to 2.1 are experemental and can be removed at any moment. Currently if you
want to add a new feature to 2.x you go and commit it to the 2.1 (HEAD) trunk.
Then people vote if this feature is good/wanted and then it gets backported to
2.0.

If you want a particular feature to be in 2.0 you have to advocate httpd
commiters to vote 3 +1 (and no -1s) and then it'll go into 2.0 and then we can
support it.

You may want to run this through httpd-dev, just in case that my understanding
of their approach is wrong.

I thought that aaa was already in 2.0. Isn't that the case?