perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: [mp2.0] Cannot complete all tests successfully on Solaris 8
Date Fri, 09 May 2003 06:50:24 GMT
Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 06:47, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>Bruce Schuck wrote:

>>>This was correct.

>>>This worked!  Thanks a bunch!
>>
>>We should still make it possible to 'make test' as root. Notice that it chowns
>>the files and dirs to whatever the user it's running under (in
>>Apache::TestRun::adjust_t_perms). If you can try again and see why do you get
>>the reports in t/logs/error_log that would be helpful to avoid future bug
>>reports like this.
>

> The chown worked fine, just didn't handle the fact that the httpd
> binary, /backup/apache/bin/httpd in this case, was not executable by
> 'nobody'.

not executable by 'nobody'? but it's started by 'root', no? or is it
prohibited to fork new processes to run as 'nobody' if the parent proc is not
executable by 'nobody'?

> Guess adjust_t_perms might also chmod httpd 755, or copy it under t/ and
> make it 755...

why not check whether we can run it, and die with a useful error and a cue how
to solve it? I don't think messing with system-wide's perms is a good idea. I
guess copy could work, but won't that user have the problem when he tries to
start the server on its own under user 'nobody', so it's better to tell him to
fix that.