perl-dev mailing list archives

From Stas Bekman <s...@stason.org>
Subject Re: resolving Apache::Test vs. Apache::test collision
Date Thu, 08 May 2003 00:45:31 GMT
Randy Kobes wrote:
> On Tue, 6 May 2003, David Wheeler wrote:
>

>>On Tuesday, May 6, 2003, at 08:49  AM, Randy Kobes wrote:
>>

>>>An upshot of this is that, when installing Apache-Test,
>>>a system file Apache/Test.pm or Apache/test.pm should
>>>probably be unlinked before copying to the blib/ directory.
>>
>>Yes, and hope that they don't reinstall mod_perl 1 with its Apache/test
>>again.
>>
>>I'm beginning to think that, for all the up-front hassle of it,
>>just renaming it to Apache::Tester or Test::Apache will avoid
>>more headaches in the long run.
>

> That's a good point, although as Stas pointed out, it may cause
> some confusion with those already using Apache::Test.
>
> If one views (philosophically) Apache::Test as a major upgrade to
> Apache::test (with a different API), might it be reasonable to
> consider replacing those packages that use Apache::test with
> Apache::Test? For example, in the next mod_perl 1 release,
> require Apache-Test for the tests, and do away with Apache::test?
> This would require rewriting the tests, which might be worth it
> anyway, as a major illustration that Apache-Test works equally
> well with mod_perl 1 (I'd volunteer to look at that, as I'm on
> one of the offending systems).
>
> I guess one advantage to this, recalling Stas' suggestion of
> putting the functionality of Apache::test into Apache::Test, is
> that two quite distinct test frameworks don't have to,
> officially, be supported. And it also, eventually, addresses the
> problem of installing mod_perl 1 after an Apache-Test
> installation and overwriting Apache/Test.pm with Apache/test.pm.
> The downside, of course, is that mod_perl 1 is very stable, and
> so major changes like this aren't desireable. Another
> disadvantage is that there's 3rd party mod_perl 1 modules that
> use Apache::test (for example, Apache-Filter), and these would be
> affected.
>
> Perhaps a compromise to the above is to just do this on Win32/Mac
> OSX (or even not changing the test framework at all in mod_perl
> 1, and just not install Apache/test.pm), and then just print out
> a warning that this is being done, and why. This wouldn't affect
> as many users, and in the Win32 world, and perhaps also on the
> Mac, I think users are used to major upgrades that aren't
> necessarily backwards compatible.

The problem with providing a replacement for Apache::test is that some people
are going to reinstall older mod_perl versions and kill the overriden file.

In any case rewriting mp1 test suite and all 3rd party module test suites is
not an option, since I doubt this is going to happen.

Renaming to Test::Apache will require lots of changes, including a potential
loss of cvs history.

So it seems to me that the simplest route to take is to
s/Apache::Test/Apache::Tester/ as suggested by David. Only one file is modified.

If there are no objections, I'll proceed with this route.

One question remains: should the package be renamed to Apache-Tester as well?
Since people will see Apache::Test and will try to install Apache::Test in
CPAN.pm, and that won't work.

Notice that we can't put in a dummy Apache/Test.pm, because it'll overwrite
Apache/test.pm and break mp1 test suites. But may be if we copy Apache/test.pm
to Apache/Test.pm as is, this will work. Though it may confuse users who will
try to use it. It also will require to maintain the version in it and not
Apache/Tester.pm